Everyone loves a good copycat recipe! This Shamrock Shake Recipe is perfect for this time of year! Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this minty milkshake using vanilla ice cream, green food dye, and a few other simple ingredients. We’ll show you how to make a homemade shamrock shake in no time at all!
Now that it’s shamrock shake season, it’s time to take the ever-popular fast food version and make your own mint milkshake right at home.
The vibrant green color just makes the shamrock shake taste that much better! It’s amazing what a few drops of green food coloring will do!
This would be super fun and delicious to pair with our Lucky Charms Cookies for a fun St. Patty’s Day treat!
Why You’ll Love These
- It’s better than the original version
- The mint flavor is crazy good!
- You can whip this up any day of the year
- You can easily share this green milkshake recipe with family and friends
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
- Mint extract
- Green food dye
Measuring Cups and Spoons
- HIGH QUALITY DURABLE AND STURDY – These Laxinis World Measuring Cups and Spoons are made of highly satin brushed with best quality stainless steel which will never rust! They are durable and attractive looking, easy to clean, and can be placed in the dishwasher safely after using.
- FOOD GRADE MATERIAL: TACGEA nonstick spatula set is made of food grade silicone with an enhanced thickness. It will not rip, break, or chip, and will not melt or warp in high temperatures. The silicone spatula set will not scratch your non-stick cookware.
- POWERFUL MOTOR BASE: 1000 watts of professional performance power.
How to Make this Copycat Shamrock Shake Recipe
- Add the ice cream, vanilla, milk, and extracts to a blender. Add the green food dye.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to help get ingredients off the sides of the blender if needed to better incorporate them.
- Pour the blended mixture into a mason jar or cup and add sanding sugar and whipped cream on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
The best part about making this copycat Mcdonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe is that you probably won’t have to worry about any leftovers! As you’ll see on the recipe card below, this minty shake makes two servings – and you can drink them both!
If you do have any left over, you can store the homemade version in the freezer for a short amount of time. Although, we will say that this shake is best served right when you make it.
Just like the shakes you get off the McDonald’s menus and any other milkshakes, they are quick to start melting and will become watery, soupy, and not as appetizing the longer that they sit.
Tips and Tricks
- For traditional shamrock shakes, it’s better to use mint extract for that minty flavor instead of peppermint. It gets it closer to that copycat flavor.
- To really make these festive for Saint Patrick’s Day, add some fun sprinkles or syrup with green coloring.
- You can easily change things up and add red food coloring for the middle of February to celebrate Valentine’s Day.
- If you need help transferring your ice cream to the blender or need help getting the thick mixture off the sides of the blender, we find that using a rubber spatula can be very helpful and is a great help when you need to incorporate everything together easier.
Can I use almond milk?
Yes, you can. You can use almond milk in place of the regular cup of milk. It will cause a different flavor and texture, but it’ll still be delicious.
The texture will be different because it’s not as fatty of milk as whole milk, so it’s not going to be as rich of an addition, but you can certainly use almond milk.
Can I change the flavor of the ice cream in this delicious shamrock shake?
Absolutely! You can use mint chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate ice cream, or even extra cups of vanilla ice cream, too. Since you’re putting a homemade spin on it, put one on it!
Shamrock Shake Variations
Add toppings. What better way to show the lucky deliciousness of St. Patrick’s Day than by topping this shake with Lucky Charms! It’s a simple way to take one of your favorite treats and make it even better.
Cherry it up. Don’t forget to add a maraschino cherry on top! And drizzle a little extra Shamrock syrup as well.
Make chocolate shamrock shakes. You can also add some tasty chocolate syrup to give this a mint chocolate shake vibe.
Make Oreo Shamrock Mcflurry. Instead of making this a milkshake, you can make an ice cream treat out of it without having to visit the Golden Arches. Add some crushed Oreos, maybe some chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips to your mixture and you may want to use a little less milk so it’s not so thin. Mcflurries are typically thicker but not as thick as traditional ice cream, more like soft serve ice cream.
Use non-dairy ice cream. If you want to use natural ingredients or make a healthy shamrock shake recipe, you can use any ingredients that you want.
Use non dairy milk. If you need to enjoy this dairy free shamrock shake, then by all means, make this shamrock shake iwth dairy free ice cream and a cows milk dairy alternative.
More Cereal Recipes
- Lucky Charms Cookies
- Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
- New Year’s Eve Countdown Clock Rice Krispie Treats
More Copycat Recipes
- Panera Copycat Autumn Squash Soup
- S’mores Frappuccino (Starbucks Copycat Recipe)
- Amazing Wendy’s Frosty Copycat Recipe
Copycat Shamrock Shake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- 3-4 drops food dye green in color
- Add the ice cream, vanilla, milk, and extracts to a blender.
- Add the green food dye.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture into a cup and add sanding sugar and whipped cream on top.
Keep On Sippin’ On Something Sweet
Pin It For Later