Here’s another fun edible gift in a jar recipe that’s not only fantastically tasty but a practical and frugal gift in a jar to give to friends and family. Learn how simple it is to make this perfect Homemade Brownie Mix in a Jar recipe for some phenomenally fudgy and chewy brownies.
Layering the dry ingredients into a jar is so easy. Giving this brownie mix as a present shows that you put some thought into what your gift recipient would enjoy. But, it’s not necessary to layer, you can just mix all the dry ingredients together and pour it in the jar like we did.
You can alter this recipe a bit to include any other things your friend or family member would like.
Think of fun things to add like M&M’s, peppermint candies, chopped nuts (great addition to this nut free brownie mix if that’s something you’d like) homemade caramely syrup, or some Mason Jar Ice Cream to go along with it.
We have neopolitan flavors coming, but for now, you can make some sweet Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream to go with your Brownies in a Jar for a real treat.
The post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Having a jar or 2 or 3 on hand at any time is always good to know you can make brownies when the brownie time is right. Sometimes the kiddos need a treat to get them back on track and sometimes, you just need a few bites of some chocolate to make it through the day…
No judgment here, we understand…. sometimes you don’t know when the need for chocolate will strike! Make sure to have a few batches of these easy Brownies in a jar mix ready to go and you’ll be fixing that craving in no time. This is also great to have on hand when unexpected company arrives and you want to be a good host and offer a treat for them.
These are the dry ingredients you’ll be adding to your jars. The other ingredients needed to make the brownies are listed separately. You can add these ingredients to a list to give to your recipient or just make note of them somehow.
- baking cocoa powder
- baking powder
Other ingredients to have when making the brownies from the mix, are:
- vanilla extract
Tools To Make These Jars
- Set of 5 premium-quality stainless-steel bowls with plastic lids for ultimate food storage, baking and cooking preparation. These brushed-metal nesting bowls come in sizes .75, 1, 1.5, 3, and 5 quarts. Wide, flat rim ensures a sturdy grip for pouring, mixing, whisking, meal prepping, and serving.
- Mix with ease: With 6 speeds, including the quickest button, you can adjust this kitchen mixer to accommodate any baking recipe.
9 x 9 Baking Pan
- Non-stick coating for quick release and easy cleanup. Heavy gauge construction spreads heat evenly and prevents warping
How To Make Brownie Mix
- You can either mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl and then pour it all into a Mason Jar for storage using. an air tight method.
- Or, you can layer your dry brownie mix ingredients into the jars and make a beautiful layered creation.
- Add your stickers, other wet ingredient information and baking instructions to the jar if giving as a gift.
How To Make Brownies From Mix
- Using your mixing bowl, dump the homemade brownie mix into the bowl, add in the eggs, water and vanilla and mix everything together until you have a smooth brownie batter.
- Spray your baking pan with cooking spray and pour in the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake brownies for 18-22 minutes, checking with a toothpick to see when finished baking.
Always keep your family and friends in mind or whoever may use this homemade brownie mix. If you know they may like it slightly different or by adding in a special ingredient, by all means, make that variation and make everyone happy!
Here are some variations we suggest if you want something different than the typical brownies.
- Add Chocolate Chips– for even more chocolate explosion flavor, give a handful or two in the top of the mixes in a jar.
- Add White Chocolate Chips– to bring out some delicious white chocolate contrast, toss a handful into this recipe.
- Make These Dairy Free Brownies– use dutch processed cocoa (check label to ensure that it’s dairy free)
- Add Nuts– think walnuts, almonds or even peanuts. These naturally nut free brownies are great if you decide to add in a handful or two of some nuts to make them crunchy brownies.
Tips & Brownie Hacks
Here are some of the super helpful brownie hacks we’ve come up with as we made brownies from this mix and create this perfect brownie mixture.
- To help make filling your jars easier, use a funnel to quickly get your ingredients in more efficiently. You can use a stainless steel canning funnel.
- No funnel? No problem… Roll up a piece of paper to act as a funnel, while this may be slightly flimsy, it will help if you’re really in a pinch.
- Making beautiful layers: Use the back of a spoon to help pat down your dry ingredient layers down to make sure everything fits easily in the jar to create adorable layers.
- When checking to see if your brownies are finished baking, insert a toothpick into the brownies, if it comes back out clean, they’re finished. If it comes out with gooey brownie batter, it needs more time.
- Pro Tip: If you’re having trouble filling your layers to the top of your jars, you can use cotton balls in the layers to help fill them out. Just remember they’re in there so you don’t go sloppily dumping everything into your mixing bowl and ruining your brownies from a jar.
How Long Does Homemade Brownie Mix In A Jar Last?
Great question and you’ll really want to know the answer so you can tell someone if you’re giving this awesome homemade mix in a jar as a gift, right?!? You wanna be able to answer if they ask “does brownie mix go bad”?
Well, as long as you’re using fresh ingredients, these mixes in a jar will be good for about 6 months to a year given that they’re stored properly.
How Do You Store This?
Another great question that goes with the one above, right? Well, once this mix has been created, you should store it in the sealed jar in a dry, cool, darker place- like a cupboard or cabinet.
How Much Homemade Brownie Mix Does This Make?
This dry ingredient mix makes 8 cups of of mix to go into your recipes.
Each batch of brownies only needs 2 1/4 cups, so this entire recipe of 8 cups would make 3, almost 4 batches of brownies from one bulk mix creation.
What Size Mason Jar Do You Store Your DIY Brownie Mix In?
Start off by knowing this recipe makes 8 cups of dry ingredient mix. You can store them in a variety of jar sizes.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Brownie Mix in a Jar
- 1 cup of baking cocoa powder
- 3 cups of flour
- 4 cups of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- ¾ Tablespoon of baking powder
How To Make Brownie Mix
- You can either mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl and then pour it all into a Mason Jar for storage using. an air tight method. Or, you can layer your dry brownie mix ingredients into the jars and make a beautiful layered creation. Add your stickers, other wet ingredient information and baking instructions to the jar if giving as a gift.
Chat Soon & Keep Sippin’ on Something
Pin It For Later!