You’ll quickly be swooning over this super creamy and rich homemade Red Velvet Ice Cream. Homemade ice cream with smooth cream cheese swirls and pieces of red velvet cake crumbles with hints sweet cocoa is the perfect dessert.
Who doesn’t love a nice bowl of homemade ice cream. It’s the perfect dessert and is great for holidays. Red Velvet cake is the secret favorite of so many people, so you know the ice cream with red velvet cake chunks will be something they’ll rant and rave over!!
The post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Red Velvet Ice Cream
- No churn ice cream is creamy and smooth
- No gadgets like an ice cream machine needed
- Uses real red velvet cake pieces
- No artificial preservatives or dealing with tempering egg yolks
- Cheaper to make your own than buy the expensive store versions like Blue Bell ice cream or Dairy Queen
- Would be a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert
Get more info on these ingredients, quantities and instructions in the recipe card below.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Red food coloring
- Cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Red velvet cake crumbs
Tools To Have On Hand To Make This Ice Cream
Mason Jars for Serving and Storing
- VERSATILE - This is the best wide mouth mason jar for fermenting or canning pickles, tomatoes, sauerkraut, salmon, kidney beans, and pumpkin in the comfort of your home. Save money and live healthy by knowing what is in your food! Great as candle jars, wedding party favors or rustic farm decor.
- SUPERIOR FUNCTION: Delivering power, precision and performance, our stand mixer features a 5.5-quart capacity with a 500-watt motor, die-cast metal construction, and 12-speeds that allow for nuance and excellence in performing a variety of preparation tasks
Whisk (if using regular electric mixer)
- Balloon shape is perfect for whipping and aerating ingredients
Measuring Cups and Spoons
- HIGH QUALITY DURABLE AND STURDY – These Laxinis World Measuring Cups and Spoons are made of highly satin brushed with best quality stainless steel which will never rust! They are durable and attractive looking, easy to clean, and can be placed in the dishwasher safely after using.
How To Make Red Velvet Ice Cream
- Add heavy cream to mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks start to form. Make sure you don’t over whisk your cream.
- Once you have soft peaks, add in your milk, sugar and cream cheese and mix slowly so you don’t splash ingredients.
- Next, add in your red food coloring and gently fold it in the mixture.
- Then add in your red velvet cake crumbs and mix everything together.
- Finally, pour red velvet ice cream mixture into your jars and freeze 6-8 hours in the freezer or overnight for the best texture and flavoring.
What Is Red Velvet Cake?
A red velvet cake is a cake that is usually a rich, dark red color with a delicious cocoa, chocolate red velvet flavor.
This cake is usually made with layers or frosting. It’s common for this cake to be made with buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
Add more red food coloring– if you want more coloring to your ice cream, add more food coloring in small increments.
Add a dollop of red velvet cream cheese icing– this will add even more creaminess. Homemade icing is even more tasty than store bought frosting and this adds a nice cream cheese icing swirl.
Out of red velvet cake?– you can try red velvet cookies or cupcakes for a similar, yet different decadent dessert.
Want more creaminess? Add in some sweetened condensed milk.
Add yummy pieces– add in white chocolate chips for a little flair.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Alternatively, you can freeze your ice cream in a bread loaf pan or in your Mason Jar. We prefer in the jar so it’s one less thing to clean up and is ready for enjoying.
- This is a recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker, but you certainly can use one if you have one.
- Make sure you’re mixing slow enough that you don’t make a huge mess of ingredients and splash cream cheese, milk and sugar everywhere.
- Use softened cream cheese to help make this ice cream easier to create.
- You can use either store bought red velvet cake or make your own. If making your own, make sure you use a good cocoa powder to bring out a nice cocoa flavoring.
- If you need help breaking up your red velvet cake, you can use a food processor.
- Feel free to add in a dash of vanilla extract for a little extra flair.
How Long Is Red Velvet Ice Cream Good For?
Homemade ice cream can last in the freezer for about 3 months if stored properly.
How Do You Store No Churn Ice Cream?
Store your favorite red velvet cake ice cream in your Mason Jar in the freezer. Most jars are freezer safe, check yours to be sure before using.
You can also store your ice cream in a bread loaf pan or an airtight container with plastic wrap over the Diy ice cream and then cover with an air tight lid over top of the container.
Other Tasty Recipes
Love this Red Velvet Ice Cream recipe? Want some more delicious dessert recipes? Try some of these:
- Try some homemade creamy butter pecan ice cream, also another no churn recipe!
- Try some homemade Neapolitan ice cream soon.
- Have some extra homemade pumpkin pie spice? Use it in your fantastic pumpkin pie ice cream!
- We have a low carb no bake cheesecake recipe to die for and a super simple cherry cheesecake in a jar that’s yummmy!
- Check out these peppermint whoopie pies perfect for valentine’s day too!
- Amazingly delish, homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream made with safe, edible cookie dough bites.
Red Velvet Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon red food coloring
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups red velvet cake crumbs
Keep On Sippin’ On Something Sweet
Pin It For Later